Eastwood Hall

Eastwood Hall renamed from New Hall was acquired in 1282 by the Reresbys. It is mentioned in 1337 and was destroyed in the Civil War, it is now a ruin. The hall had passed into the family of the Bournes when it was destroyed in 1646 by a party of Royalist soldiers from the Bolsover garrison.

It was said that ‘The Roundheads they came down upon Eastwood Old Hall, They tried it with mattock and tried it with ball, They tore up the leadwork and splintered the wood, But firmly as ever the battlements stood; But a barrel of powder at last did the thing, And then they sang psalms for the fall of the King.’

Early English windows and masonry in the western tower (probably about 1220) were associated with ownership by the Willoughbys
Sir Thomas Reresby undertook extensive rebuilding and is thought to have overspent to such an extent that he made the house and estate over to trustees in an attempt to discharge his debts.

In 1612 it was mortgaged to Samuel Tryon. Shortly afterwards Tyron foreclosed and in 1623 sold to Revd Emmanuel Bourne whose ancestors came from Whirlow near Sheffield was rector of Ashover and took up residence in the house.

During the Civil War, Bourne’s refusal to provide sustenance for Parliamentary troops resulted in the house being attacked. It was pillaged by foraging Royalists in 1643 and later in 1646 by forces of Sir John Gell of Hopton the Parliamentary commander.

There is early 16th century work on the north side of the building and a Jacobean window in the north wall. The ruins are of an Elizabethan and older house. A cottage, of reused material, built against the west side of the ruin in the late C18 known as Eastwood Hall Cottage.

In 1762, the ruined Hall and some land was sold to the governors of Queen Anne’s Bounty to augment the living of Brimington.